The party season is upon us. Whether you’re hosting or attending there are always delicious drinks and nibbles on offer. It’s somewhat a challenge for me this year. For those playing along, you would be aware that we are having a renovation and therefore do not have a kitchen at present. When I was *asked by Yumi’s to create a recipe for their new Anytime range, I really had to put my thinking cap on.
I’m already a regular user of Yumi’s dips as they have a huge range of flavours but what I wasn’t aware that the Anytime products as well as their Classic Dips are dairy and gluten-free. In fact, on researching this post I noted that I had also had a spread from their Deli Range in my fridge without even knowing it (Mushroom, Spinach & Thyme if you’re interested). The Anytime range are sandwich spreads that come in take anywhere pouches. I had already encountered the hummus on my frequent travels to Canberra, when I grabbed a pouch to use over a couple of days for snacks and sandwiches.
Riddle Me This
How do you make some great looking and tasting party canapés without the use of an oven or stove? You get creative with the BBQ and electric frying pan. Simples!
When time is short and there is much to do, these Anytime pouches in the fridge can be a lifesaver. You want to spend time with guests, not in the kitchen. Having these on hand is great when that quick afternoon drink stretches on into a long evening of festivities. You can whip up some great, last minute nibbles.
I have created a set of canapé ideas that use the range. One of the great things about the Anytime pouches is that the nozzle allows you to pipe the topping directly onto the biscuits. They may be a shortcut but there’s no reason not to add an elegant flourish. Voila!
Easy Party Canapés
Spicy Mini Beef Burgers w Garlic Aioli (GF)
- Place 2 tablespoons of rice or cider vinegar in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and stir to dissolve. Peel some slices of cucumber into the pickling mix, using a speed or Vietnamese peeler. (do the carrots from the Tuna Rounds at the same time). Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Mix 250g beef mince with 2 tablespoons of Anytime Spicy Tomato Salsa and 1 teaspoon of salt. Form meatballs the size of golf balls then press flat into small patties. Cook the mini burgers on the BBQ grill (do the tomatoes for the Hommus Tarts at the same time) until done. Place on paper towels to cool slightly then place on sturdy crackers such as Lavosh Bites. Pipe Anytime Garlic Aioli onto warm mini burgers and top with curls of pickled cucumber.
- Try: Turkey instead of beef topped with Anytime Seeded Mustard & Honey Aioli or Lentil Patties with Spicy Salsa topping
Creamy Tuna on Cucumber Rounds w Lightly Pickled Carrot (GF)
- Slice cucumber into discs and place on paper towel to soak up excess moisture. Peel some slices of carrot into the pickling mix as above, using a speed or Vietnamese peeler. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Pipe Anytime Creamy Tuna Mousse onto cucumber rounds. Remove carrot strips from the bowl, tie in a knot and garnish.
- Try: Creamy Tuna topped with tangy capers or gherkin slices or pipe onto slices of egg instead of cucumber
Curried Egg & Smoked Salt atop Pumpernickel (V)
- Cut pumpernickel into squares or use a cookie cutter to create decorative shapes. Top with Anytime Curried Egg and a sprinkle of smoked salt.
- Try: Curried egg topped with caviar or fish roe, smoked salmon or grilled asparagus
Hummus Tartlets w Blistered Tomatoes (V)
- Place whole or halved cherry tomatoes on the BBQ and apply gentle heat to blister skins. (Be careful not to let them split too much) Pipe Anytime Classic Hommus into pre-made mini tart cases. Top tarts with a blistered tomato and fresh thyme leaves. A drop of good quality olive oil wouldn’t go astray either.
- Try: Classic Hommus topped with halved olives and a sprinkle of zataar or sumac for classic Middle Eastern flavours
Yumi’s Anytime Range
available in most supermarkets in the chilled section
*TIFFIN was asked to create a recipe using the Anytime range by Get Glossy and Yumi’s, using original content. TIFFIN received payment for this post. Mr Tiffin is delighted to know that in the absence of a kitchen he can still enjoy Christmas festivities in style.